Have questions? Ask us!

Immigration & Work Permits

Work Permits

Shield GEO is not operating in Malta at this time. However, feel free to contact us and we’ll do our best to assist you with your employment needs or connect you with a trusted partner.


Foreign workers are required to have the proper visas and work permits in Malta, as established by immigration laws.  Work permits must be secured for employees, and sponsored by a locally licensed and incorporated entity, which can be a problem for companies just entering the Maltese market.  

Your Options

Have Your Own Business


Work permits in Malta are employer-specific (although there can be exceptions), occupation-specific, and location-specific, and are normally valid for one year.

A worker from a non-EU country must first obtain a visa to enter Malta and then apply for the residence/work permit once in Malta.

The Employment and Training Corporation is at present the entity that processes applications for the issue of employment licenses (previously known as work permits) with regards to foreign nationals to be employed in Malta. ETC was delegated this responsibility in August 2005.

If you are not a citizen of an EU country, you need an employment license in order to be able to work in Malta. EU nationals [except citizens of Croatia], EEA and Swiss nationals do not require an employment license to work in Malta.

EU/EEA Nationals

If you are an EU National that would like to work in Malta, whilst not requiring an employment license, we would recommend that you contact the EURES advisors in order to discuss with them any requirements that there might be. You can either send an email on: [email protected] or call the free-phone number 8007 6505. You can also chat to Maltese advisors online via the EURES portal – www.eures.europa.eu.

Non EU National

Employment licenses must be applied for by the employer and not by the jobseeker.

Third country nationals who are eligible for the Single Permit Application still require an employment license, which process is conducted by means of internal arrangements between ETC and the Department for Citizenship and Expatriate Affairs, some of the documentation indicated in the contents below still applies in their respect.

Documentation required

In the case of an application for a new employment license for a third country national, the process is as follows. The employer, unless it is a single permit application must fill in an application form and submit it to the Employment Licenses Unit by hand or by mail.

The following documentation needs to be provided at application stage:

(a) Application form;

(b) Curriculum vitae;

(c) Position description;

(d) References/testimonials;

(e) One passport photo;

(f) Copy of travel document;

(g) Copy of valid visa (if third country national is in Malta);

(h) Copy of qualification certificates and accreditation/recognition;

(i) Covering letter by employer indicating site of work;

(j) The fee;

(k) Evidence of search for EEA/Swiss/Maltese nationals through a detailed vacancy report.

The following documents must also be supplied, depending on the case as indicated:

(l) A valid police certificate (if the foreign national is an asylum seeker or a person enjoying Subsidiary Protection/Temporary Humanitarian Protection Status and Refugee Status;

(m) Valid certificate issued by the Refugee Commissioner in the case of THP5 s/SPs, Refugees and Asylum Seekers;

(n) Proof of long-term residence status, or of relation to long-term resident, where applicable;

(o) Evidence from a medical specialist in the case of a home-based foreign career;

(p) A power of attorney signed and attested by a Notary, Advocate or Public official, when a person applies or withdraws an application on behalf of another, in the case of a home-based career;

(q) Birth certificates of children, if not born in Malta, if application is for nanny;

(r) Proof of relationship to diplomat, if application is for family member of diplomat;

(s) Approval of the regulatory body, in the case of applications for third country nationals to perform a regulated profession;

(t) Health clearance form in the case of third country nationals already in Malta;

(u) Proof of study in Malta, in the case of students;

(v) Proof of relationship with EEA/Swiss national in the case of TCN dependent on EEA/Swiss national;

(w) Power of attorney, if application is submitted on behalf of an elderly person or a person with disability.

Further information can be founded at this link

Processing Time: 2 weeks

Cost: Please contact us for a quote.

Types of visas in Malta

Category Description of Visa
Schengen Visa

Schengen visa applications must be lodged at the diplomatic mission of the country which is the main destination of the visit.  In the event, therefore, that an applicant intends to visit several Schengen Member States (with stays of approximately the same duration), the application must be lodged at the diplomatic mission of the country of first entry.
Thus, applicants wishing to visit Malta as the main destination, or being the country of first entry into the Schengen area, must lodge their applications at Malta’s diplomatic missions or its representations*

Visa applications must be in writing, giving all details required on the Visa Application Form which can be acquired free of charge from Malta’s diplomatic missions and consular posts or downloaded from accessing the Related Documents on the left hand side:

The Visa Application Form must be wholly and legibly completed, and signed by the applicant, and accompanied by:

• a valid travel document (passport) validity of which must not be less than three months;

• two (2) passport-size photographs, in color and taken against a white background, with face clearly visible;

• the visa fee

Processing Time: Applications for Schengen short-stay visas can be lodged within 3 months prior to the planned trip.

Please contact us for a quote.

Short-stay “C” visa (Schengen)

The validity period of a Schengen (short-term) visa is determined in accordance with the length of travel, for a maximum of 5 years. According to expected number of stays, Schengen (short-term) visa may be issued as follows:

• single entry – entitles to a single uninterrupted stay during the period stipulated in the visa, which may not exceed than 3 months;

double entry visa – entitles to two stays during the period stipulated in the visa, while the sum of the lengths of stay may not exceed three months within a half-year;

multiple entry visa – entitles to multiple stays during the period stipulated in the visa, while the sum of the lengths of stay may not exceed three months within a half-year.

Processing Time: Minimum 15 days

Please contact us for a quote.

National Long-stay “D” visa

These visas allow the holder to stay in the territory of Malta for periods longer than three months (90 days). All third-country nationals who wish to enter Malta in order to work and/or study must be in possession of this type of visa.  

Applications for long-term or “D” visas are not subject of representation arrangements and the applicants should contact the Central Visa Unit for further information as to which of Malta’s diplomatic missions and consular posts would accept their visa applications.

Processing Time: Minimum 15 days

Please contact us for a quote.